Sixth Grade Curriculum
- Capitalizes and punctuates direct quotation.
- Recognizes and appropriately uses standard or non-standard grammar in writing.
- Creative writing includes introduction, plot, conflict, conclusion.
- Creative writing includes developing characterization.
- Expository and factual writing includes a central theme or thesis.
- Writes a two or three para graph essay or report; uses topic sentences, supporting details, a variety of sentence structures.
- Writes a speech or oral report with introductory statement Develops proofreading skills.
- Estimates decimal numbers to thousandths # Solves problems involving + - X and division of common fractions and decimal fractions.
- Solves word problems involving all 4 basic operations with decimals and common fractions.
- Determines area, perimeter, volume and mass * Divides decimals by decimals and whole numbers.
- Uses a protractor to measure angles and solves problems using calculators.
- Calculates with mixed numbers and reciprocals, fractions and decimals.
- Writes decimals as fractions and percents.
- Uses ratio to solve problems.
- Calculates interest.
- Solves word problems involving decimals, percent, discount, interest.
- Uses concepts of divisibility.
- Uses order of operations to solve expressions.
- Uses formulas to find perimeter, area, volume.
- Creates scale drawing.
- Uses greatest common factor and least common multiple.
- Estimates answers to + - X and division problems.
- Applies skills to determine root words with or without spelling changes before endings or suffixes.
- Utilizes context clues, pronoun referents, connotations of words, conventions of written English.
- Interprets character's moti vation.
- Recognizes fact within historical fiction.
- Reads for pleasure a variety of literary styles.
- Reads and responds in a variety of ways to non-fiction material.
- Reads orally with expression and illustrating understanding of dramatic content.
- Locates information from a variety of sources: telephone books, catalogs, newspapers, maps, etc.
- Follows written instructions to complete a complex construction task.
- Listens to and/or reads a variety of high quality literature
- Identifies values and beliefs of own and other cultures from literature.
- Plants - Growth and Responses Animals - Tissues, organs, and systems.
- Organization of multicellular organisms.
- Animal Adaptations - Looks that protect Behavior and instinct Ecology - Climate and Life.
- Matter and Atoms - Acids, Bases & Salts.
- Chemical Changes in Matter.
- Energy - Light Energy Reflection and Refraction.
- Using Electricity - Electrons Waves; Transistors.
- Earth - The Earth's Resources 9 Changes in the Earth's Crust Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Mountain building.
- Weather - Forecasting the Weather.
Space - Exploring Space.
The Human Body:
- Control Systems of the Body: nervous system; brain and spinal cord; endocrine system.
- Growth and Development - New orgarnism: development of organs and systems before hatching or birth.
- Passing on information: chromosomes.